Installing XP problem

IanWilk 18:39 15 Mar 03

Trying to install xp over me and receive message 'installation failed : D:\1386\asms. Fatal error. One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The parameter is incorrect'. Can any xp experts help, or is it easier to go for a format then install clean?

Gman 18:45 15 Mar 03

If you feel confident to do it then go for a format and re install. You will get a better setup than an upgrade. You will need a copy win 98 or above if you have the upgrade XP though to prove you are entitled to upgrade.

Djohn 18:45 15 Mar 03

Found this reply to same problem as yours, hope it is of some help. J.

------------------------------

Re: 1386/asms
Message: i had the same problem but finally resolved it and able to install WinXP Pro successfully. The procedures I did are the following:

1. I went to the BIOS Setup and reloaded the Default settings.

2. For the Primary & Secondary Master/Slave setting where the CD ROM channel is located, I changed the setting from "Auto" to "CD ROM" then saved the settings.

3. Installed Win XP (with no problem).

4. Returned to the BIOS Setup and changed the CD ROM setting back to "Auto" from "CD Rom". (If you do not set it back to "Auto", you will not be able to read files from your CD Rom.

I think, the installation problem is caused by the system not being able to recognize the CD ROM. By initially changing the setup to "CD Rom" solves this installation problem.

VoG™ 18:48 15 Mar 03

Some other ideas click here

IanWilk 20:12 16 Mar 03

After faffing about all day and reformatting I've now reloaded Windows ME. Thanks anyway - The file was still missing even after that. Will probably try again with xp home adition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…