Installing XP Pro over XP Home without formatting

youngbob 19:52 28 Nov 03

Can XP Pro be installed over XP Home without the need to format and if so would all the data on the c: remain intact. I realise a clean install is the best way but I need to back up my files first but unfortunately XP Home refuses to boot due to a file missing or corrupt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

spikeychris 19:57 28 Nov 03

You can just bang Pro over Home if you want and the file structure will remain intact. Post the problem of the format though.

ams4127 20:01 28 Nov 03

My own feelings are that you should get XP home working first, then install XP Pro alongside it, transfer your data across and finally get rid of XP home.

I'm fairly certain that if you install XP Pro on top of Home, you will lose everything.

ams4127 20:03 28 Nov 03

Sorry, I bow to the greater knowledge of spikeychris.

I still wouldn't try it though!

spikeychris 20:18 28 Nov 03

you raise a good point and I agree, the Home version ideally should be working first. The upgrade though to Pro *should* fix any problems but as said, you have pointed out what should be done. Microsoft does not support upgrading Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1) to Windows XP Professional without SP1 so again a VERY good point.....

If Home does not have SP1 installed and youngbob chose upgrade there would be no probs..

Chris

youngbob 21:22 28 Nov 03

I have tried to repair XP Home but haven't been able to. The problem is a corrupt or missing system file. The machine will not boot up in any option (safe mode etc). The only software I got with my machine was a set of ghost image disks (I think that's what they're called), but if I use this option my hard disk gets wiped. Oh, and the customer service wasn't much help. My fault for buying Time I guess.

spikeychris 21:54 28 Nov 03

Did you boot with the XP disk for repair? Which file is missing/corrupted?

temp003 23:16 28 Nov 03

Is it a file called C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system (or \software), or something like that, missing or corrupt?

Or NTLDR?

These are quite common XP errors (both in Home and Pro) which can be repaired.

Post your error message here and someone can help.

Even if you're going to do a reinstallation, you can reinstall XP Home over the existing copy, without losing your data or programs. There's on need to install the Pro version. Get the Home version working first.

Indigo 1 02:06 29 Nov 03

I

I

I

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…