Installing XP Pro in MS-DOS

kentylad 19:11 20 May 03

Is a clean install of XP pro possible from DOS mode?

Kind Regards

Nick

leo49 19:15 20 May 03

Well if it is, I couldn't manage it a few weeks ago so I'd be interested to know for sure.

Regards

OneSirKnight 19:22 20 May 03
  OneSirKnight 19:27 20 May 03

Your question: How do I install WinXP from DOS?
Yep, it is possible to install XP from DOS
Here a few more details:
===================================================
If you have formatted the hard drive with a Win98 Bootdisk and the whole hard disk is formatted in FAT32, then YES, you can install XP from DOS without any problems. Boot from a Win98 boot disk, choose with CD-Rom support, and, if you have the smartdrv.exe then run it first, otherwise it will take very long to copy the installation files to your hard drive. After all of above is done, change to your CD-ROM drive, XP CD inserted, change to i386 folder and type winnt, hit enter. Setup will do the job fantastically and install your Windows XP. You just have to wait until all installation files are copied to the hard drive. This will take about 20 min if you have run smartdrv.exe or up to 2 hours if not. The procedure is the same. After all installation files are copied to the hard drive, the actual XP installation (usually 39 min) will begin. Sure, you will have to answer some questions, but you have done that before, haven’t you? Even an upgrade version of XP will do a clean full install, it just will ask to insert a valid Win9x CD to verify that you owe one, then swap the CDs back and the installation will be done perfectly. Now you will have a clean full installation of Win XP. Believe me it works. I have done it many times.

OneSirKnight 19:27 20 May 03

Your question: How do I install WinXP from DOS?
Yep, it is possible to install XP from DOS
Here a few more details:
===================================================
If you have formatted the hard drive with a Win98 Bootdisk and the whole hard disk is formatted in FAT32, then YES, you can install XP from DOS without any problems. Boot from a Win98 boot disk, choose with CD-Rom support, and, if you have the smartdrv.exe then run it first, otherwise it will take very long to copy the installation files to your hard drive. After all of above is done, change to your CD-ROM drive, XP CD inserted, change to i386 folder and type winnt, hit enter. Setup will do the job fantastically and install your Windows XP. You just have to wait until all installation files are copied to the hard drive. This will take about 20 min if you have run smartdrv.exe or up to 2 hours if not. The procedure is the same. After all installation files are copied to the hard drive, the actual XP installation (usually 39 min) will begin. Sure, you will have to answer some questions, but you have done that before, haven’t you? Even an upgrade version of XP will do a clean full install, it just will ask to insert a valid Win9x CD to verify that you owe one, then swap the CDs back and the installation will be done perfectly. Now you will have a clean full installation of Win XP. Believe me it works. I have done it many times.

OneSirKnight 19:29 20 May 03

Sorry i don't know why that last message posted twice?

leo49 19:46 20 May 03

Thanks OneSirKnight that's a really useful article - I wish I'd seen it a while ago, it would have saved me condiderable hairpulling.

Regards

leo49 19:47 20 May 03

diderable?

OneSirKnight 19:52 20 May 03

New word in the oxford dictionary "DIDERABLE" means prone to dithering,,lol

leo49 19:56 20 May 03

I've just been watching Ned Flanders on the Simpsons - that's my excuse,diddley-dokey. :o)

OneSirKnight 20:02 20 May 03

I accept your excuse,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…