installing xp over the top of xp / vista dual boot

rickilambert 22:13 04 Apr 08

ages ago i installed vista on to a xp laptop as a dual boot, now i want to revert back, problem is i dont now how to, i dont no if tapping the f10 button will work in roder to make it boot to the partition and then reinstal or not. If not how can i remove the vista partition COMPLETLEY and have xp back with factory settings only (there are no wanted files on it now)

will it be possible for someone to say that they will help me do this on sunday or is this an unreasonable request

thanks for your time (im in desperate need for some help!!!!)

Quiller. 22:34 04 Apr 08

and keep your current XP installation.

Boot your computer in to Windows XP.

Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.

Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type
in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).

Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.

Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.

Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C:), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.

Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.

Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

from click here

If you want to wipe all and revert back, then thats a different operation.

rickilambert 22:46 04 Apr 08

well i would like it so that the pc was reverted back to completley fresh with JUST xp as the operating system

the problems are

1) no vista cd or image as it was an exe download from microsoft academic alliance

2) no partition software

i do however have a spare copy of xp tho if the origianl xp partition isnt availaable on the hdd of the machine

what would you advise in this circumstance, and would it be possible to have some help on sunday with this issue on msn or something?

Diodorus Siculus 20:18 05 Apr 08

Thanks, quiller; you saved me a lot of time and effort :) I was going to spend tomorrow afternoon removing Vista and XP and formatting back to the start. Instead, you helped me do the job in 30 seconds!

Cheers, I owe you one!

Quiller. 21:47 05 Apr 08

I am pleased it has been of use to you.:-)

rickilambert

'and would it be possible to have some help on Sunday with this issue on msn or something?'

Thats a large commitment to ask of anyone. The re installation of XP could take a few minutes, via the recovery partition or it could get very complicated and take hours, because of the way Vista plants the boot loader and anti-tamping software on XP. This would also require researching your peripherals and downloading the software ready for a reinstall.

Thats why the deletion of the boot loader is the easiest and simplest way to revert back to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…