Installing XP over 7, No hdd found?

Steve92 10:14 23 Jul 09

Hi I recently bought a netbook and installed windows 7 RC on it, I couldn't get the wifi to work no matter what I tried.

So, I bought an external usb enclosure for my dvd drive so I could reinstall windows xp, and during the setup it told me there was no hdd on my netbook.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?
Thanks,
Steve

T I M B O 10:20 23 Jul 09

Im pretty sure you can not put xp on an external devise. Have you also check if that notebook has drivers for xp?

Steve92 10:25 23 Jul 09

Im not putting xp on an external device I am using an external dvd to install it on my netbook hdd. Yes there are drivers for xp, the netbook originally came installed with xp.

T I M B O 10:27 23 Jul 09

Have you made the Win 7 recovery disc 1st ???

norman47 10:28 23 Jul 09

You have to format the drive that has windows 7 with a third party format utility. Killdisk is very good.

The reason XP can't see the drive is that Vista and 7 block any downgrades to what they think is inferior operating systems. e.g. XP :-))

Steve92 10:32 23 Jul 09

Thanks Norman ill give that a go

T I M B O 10:36 23 Jul 09

When you have made the recovery disc, then download dban,click here

Dban is a safer software to use, you can use from a pen drive, or cd. Once dban has booted up then just type in "autonuke" and hit enter, then walk away.

Killdisk does not format i dont think, it wipes the hard drive so when you are ready you can install the xp cd & the xp cd will then format the hard drive to NTFS, pretty much the same was as dban.

The reason to use dban is to remove the hidden partition.

Steve92 12:26 23 Jul 09

Guys, I used killdiskto wipe the hdd but xp setup is still saying no hdd found.

Getting a little worried now, any ideas?

Steve92 12:29 23 Jul 09

wait a sec, I changed hdd mode in bios to compatibility and it seems to be working

T I M B O 12:30 23 Jul 09

Did you make the recvovery disc of Win 7 ?

woodchip 12:33 23 Jul 09

You need to Clear Partitions before it lets you load a downgrade Operating System. Something like Killdisk will remove it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…