installing xp home help please

picklsey 18:21 02 Feb 05

when i try to install i get the ntldr is missing i downloaded a 98 boot disc put it on a floppy set the pc to first boot from floppy but all i keep getting is the same message it is highly possible i,ve downloaded the wrong one could someone be good enough to help me out here before the men in white coats do it.thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:27 02 Feb 05
  picklsey 18:35 02 Feb 05

GANDALF <|:-)>

thanks for reply and linksthis is above my head i am not getting a command prompt all i keep getting is ntldr is missing press control alt del. to restart any ideas where i am going wrong.

roy 18:55 02 Feb 05

Does this help?

click here

bigchasbroon 19:17 02 Feb 05

Are you performing a clean install or are you upgrading from a previous version of windows?

If it is a clean install youd be far better to set the BIOS boot sequence to boot from cd.

Start up floppies for xp are probably over 4 disks. Ive done it with windows 2000 before but I think that youd probably need to do it on another machine.

picklsey 19:23 02 Feb 05

the harddrive had xp on it i moved it to another pc and started getting the hassle.

could someone please take me through this stage by stage been to the links given (thanks) i must be doing something wrong.

would i be better to fdisc the drive and start again.please help on this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 02 Feb 05

1. Start your computer by using the Windows XP Setup floppy disks or by using the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10, or press R to repair.
3. Press C to start the Recovery Console.
4. Copy the Ntldr file from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of your system partition by using the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

At the prompt C:\windows
1. Type CD space the letter of the CD-ROM drive (CD D)
3. Type cd i386 to change into the right directory
4. Type Copy ntldr c:
5. Type Exit and remove the XP CD

bigchasbroon 19:29 02 Feb 05

I would start again. You could move a HD with win98 to another machine but not xp.
If you can boot to cd do that. when set up is loaded you can delet the partition. you then get the option to create a partition, then the option to format and install windows on the selected partition.

bigchasbroon 19:31 02 Feb 05

download file for xp startup floppies here
click here

picklsey 22:38 02 Feb 05

sorry for taking so long in getting back

so far loaded the 6 floppies got to inset xp disc when i did it said there was no cd rom drive it was there on start up before i put the floppies in any way tried this a few times also f 10 and got the same erroror when i just press enter to install xp nothing happens.

now when i start the pc i get disc boot failure non system disc or disc error i am at a total loss what to do now any help please.

picklsey 04:37 03 Feb 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…