Bertie B 18:59 11 Jan 04

I have a friend who has a fairly old PC - was supplied with Win98 but now has a "version" of XP Pro which I believe was installed by a youngster in the family [don't ask!!]. My friend has now purchased a bona-fide copy of XP Home and wants to install this. Problem is how to go about this as old version must first of all be uninstalled and as far as I am informed there is no option under Add/Remove Programs to provide for this.

Any suggestions, please, as to the best way to go about this?

powerless 19:09 11 Jan 04

When you install XP you can delete all partitions.

So just delete the partition and create a new one from the XP setup.

You will obviously lose all data so save what you want first to a CD, another HDD etc.

hugh-265156 19:10 11 Jan 04
  Djohn 19:11 11 Jan 04

Back up all your personal files to CD or similar. Go into BIOS and make the CD drive the first boot drive, insert the XP CD and follow on-screen instructions.

XP will find the current copy on the hard drive and give you the option to format the drive and do a fresh install, choose format then install the new copy to the drive.. j.

Bertie B 21:13 11 Jan 04

Thanks Guys!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…