Installing XP, getting rid of Vista, advice if any

rickf 15:40 23 Mar 09

I'm finally giving up on Vista Home Premium on my Acer laptop. Just too many issues to list. I am buying a NEW XP disc to install in it's place.
Question: Do I need to uninstall Vista first or can I just install the XP disc as per normal installation? Thanks

kindly 15:50 23 Mar 09

I am not totally sure, but I think XP will do a format as it goes as part of the loading process. That is if its a complete version of XP and not a restore disc you get with the machines.
sorry not much help.

Quiller. 15:50 23 Mar 09

You need to download the XP drivers for it first, if it has any.

Then you have to get rid of Vista, it will not allow you to downgrade, even from booting from cdrom. Format the entire drive and partitions with killdisk. { google it }

canarieslover 15:58 23 Mar 09

Be very careful as with alot of newer laptops there are no XP drivers available for them. Check click here to see if any are available.

rickf 20:41 23 Mar 09

Hi All.
Thanks for replies so far. It's going to be a NEW XP Disc. By drivers you mean specific drivers for any device that I maybe using at presnt? As long as XP installs I can drivers for the devices that need them. Am I right.
Vista has cause me to lose 6hrs of music recorded in a studio. I ma not going to put up with it. This is the main reason + various other niggling issues. Help with clarification?

canarieslover 18:19 24 Mar 09

Drivers you need that are specific to your computer motherboard are the ones that are most likely to be unavailable. Go to Acer site click here and check that the motherboard drivers are available. If they are then download them and burn them to CD before doing a reformat on your hard drive. The devices that you connect to the computer are not normally a great problem but if you have to work wth a low resolution screen because there is no driver available, or do without sound for the same reason, you may be a bit miffed to say the least.

geewis357 18:47 24 Mar 09

Be vary careful, I bought a new acer aspire 5920G las November and though as you do, WHAT A BIG MISTAKE Don't Doooooooooooooo it. As has been mentioned earlier some vista laptops will not run XP this was true in my case and had to pay for vista to be put back as the guy in the local shop removed all the hidden backup partition. The drivers you require will not install in XP.

rickf 21:15 24 Mar 09

Hi all,
Thanks. Acer has been totally useless. I rang them for advice about downgrading to XP with a new xp disc. They check the serial no. of my laptop then came back to saying they do not have the xp drivers for the m/b and chipset. Unable to provide me with further help but advise to search drivers from 3rd parties. I have done and have now downloaded all drivers for this model. Still one set left to find ie Acer-Aspire-5920-WLAN-Intel_v11.1.0.100whql.zip fr my wifi then I'm done. Will then install xp when my new disc arrives this wk. I'll then post here.

rickf 21:18 24 Mar 09

Acer actually had this set of drivers on their ftp site but took them down.I learnt this from the web forums in my effort to find these xp drivers. Obviously to prevent people from changing to XP. I'm livid

rickf 21:24 24 Mar 09

here is the link to all the drivers for acer 5920G
XP drivers. Hope this is of help to someone thinking of downgrading to XP from Vista. Be patient it takes a looong time as some of the files are rather huge even zipped.
click here

rickf 22:01 24 Mar 09

geewiz357
Its not true that you can't install Xp on the 5920G. You just need the XP drivers for the B
M/B hardware, especially chipset drivers etc. Follow this lionk to download and read my previous thread on top. This is the link

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…