installing xp after disk wipe

grandadfred 09:28 22 Nov 07

I have just wiped my hard drive to pass on the computer to someone else. I am trying to re install xp home. In windows setup the files are loaded then it says ' setup is starting windows ' but nothing further happens. I need help please.

ventanas 11:53 22 Nov 07
  grandadfred 12:25 22 Nov 07

ventanas......thanks but it doesn't help.The reload is as the article says but after loading the files I get the blue screen with 'Windows Setup ' in the top left hand corner and 'Setup is starting Windows ' in the bottom left of the screen. This is it should be BUT there it stays and doesn't progress any further.

grandadfred 15:22 17 Dec 07

Well that was a bit of a disappointment. I really thought that this would be one of those " any idiot knows how to do that " queries.

tullie 15:40 17 Dec 07

It usually is easy,once you have changed bios to boot from cd,no doubt someone will help

stylehurst 17:04 17 Dec 07

It might sound like a daft question, but how did you wipe you hard Drive?
Did your drive need formatting after your disk wipe exercise?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 17 Dec 07

click here use Killdisk to completely wipe the drive and ALL PARTITIONS.

Then retry your XP CD.

grandadfred 12:02 18 Dec 07

I used Paragon disk wiper to wipe the disk. The bios is set to boot from cd. I don't know how I can format the disk with the computer as it is.

cream. 12:39 18 Dec 07

and either burn a click here for a floppy disk, if you have a floppy disk drive. Or download a ISO version click here.

Select and wipe all drives, except the A:\ drive, which will be the disk.

Restart with the XP disk in the drive and the windows installation will format it for you.

or

depending on the size of the drive and the format it is written in.

Download a win98se floppy disk, or ISO disk click here.

Start the computer with the disk in and when you get to a command prompt write

a:\ format c:

See if it will format in fat32.

Poitier 15:06 19 Dec 07

It is just a thought but are you using a recovery disk? If so you should only have deleted the partition for C:\Drive.

ICF 08:51 20 Dec 07

What brand of hard disk is it?

I had them similar problem. The Xp disc would not move from inspecting your hardware config.I had a damaged master boot record and fixed it with a utility from samsung as it was a samsung hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009