installing xp

25paul 18:46 05 May 04

i gave my son my old computer after getting a new one myself with windows xp home edition. the one i gave him was millenium edition.
he deleted some things he shouldn't have and the system is now quite useless and the recovery floppy was damaged and doesn't work.
if he was to buy the xp home edition full version, could this be installed on his computer. i.e. does the disc wipe out the millenium edition thats left and install itself without any problem.
i would be gratefull for any help on this.
thanks, paul.

sicknote 18:48 05 May 04

How old is the PC and what spec ????

961 18:52 05 May 04

Will system restore not work?

Surely upgrade edition of xp should be sufficient

25paul 18:54 05 May 04

it was only 4 years old. a packard bell. 40gb hard drive with 512mb of memory

PaulOwen 18:56 05 May 04

This will help with your system requirements click here

25paul 18:56 05 May 04

i never thought of that 961. i'll speak to him, although i know he would still like to upgrade to xp so maybe someone can still answer my question.

25paul 18:58 05 May 04

thanks paulowen. it meets those requirements

Simon_P 18:59 05 May 04

Requires allot of processing power, if your machine is old it may slow to a crawl or not boot at all
click here for system requirements.
If you are close or below these specks, XP is probably not a good Idea.

Do you still have the Me disk? if so an upgrade will do. Or reinstall Me

sicknote 19:04 05 May 04

If you look around you can buy Win xp home OEM full version for the same price as the upgrade,If your recovery disc's are damaged you might not be able to use upgrade XP as it needs proof/info from recovery disc

25paul 19:05 05 May 04

i think that maybe trying system retore might be the best idea.

mackaycc 00:35 06 May 04

If you can pick up a cheap copy of XP it would definately be worth going for that. I have XP Pro installed on a P11 400MHz with 256 MB SD Ram which is running on a network and chugs along quite happily.

In answer to your original question, you can indeed format the hard drive which will erase evrything from it and then install XP on the computer. Depending on how old your son is you could get a discount on the software also. If he is still in education then it would be worth looking at getting a student licence for XP:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now