Installing Winxp on a Sata drive

Drazpaz 14:44 25 Sep 04

I am trying to do a fresh install of winxp pro SP1a on my Maxtor serial ata drive. However it just can't see the drive when it gets to the installation screen. I have tried installing third party drivers by pressing F6, but it has no effect. I am running dry of ideas to what is going wrong. Please help
Thanks

temp003 14:52 25 Sep 04

After you press F6, at some stage, you'll be asked to insert a floppy for the SATA disk controller driver. Do you have it? If not, the driver should be on the motherboard CD, just find the right folder and copy on to a floppy.

If you know the model of your motherboard, you can also download it from the mobo website.

On some BIOS, there is an option to set the SATA hdd as a legacy IDE or something like that, in which case if you select that, you don't need to install the SATA driver.

Drazpaz 14:55 25 Sep 04

I am using an Asus K8V SE mobo. I have tried the sata drivers off the disc and their website to no avail. I did hear that oem discs of xp(am using one) don't work with some sata drives, don't know if it is true though.

Drazpaz 15:35 25 Sep 04

Please help!!!

Caså 17:06 25 Sep 04

Have you set BIOS as temp003 suggested.I set to legacy not native as I was dual booting with 98se,I have often wondered why all went ok installing 98/xp without any drivers.That explains it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…