installing WinXP pro error 1386

skell 20:17 23 Apr 04

Hi

After building a new comp i Bought a full copy of WinXp pro. Computer goes through the partioning and then to the setup. it starts the setup finishes but says...

An error has been encounterd that prevents setup from continuing.
one of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
The parameter is correct
press ok to view the log file.

error D:\1386\asms. error

can anyone help on this please?
iv searched the windows help base but it only describe fixes for an upgrade but not from a clean install.
Ive checked the disc for scratches and such but it seems ok. i only have one cdrom but doubt it would be that. i suspect the disc to be faulty or is there another cause for this.

Thanks .

powerless 20:25 23 Apr 04
  lezw 20:33 23 Apr 04

hi i think you are looking for I386 which holds all the drivers needed for set up if you can go to the m/s web site and search for "windows xp home(or profesional)cd boot floppies" which you download and install on to 6 floppy discs then run them it should make a new install a lot easier

lezw 20:55 23 Apr 04

click here
click here

skell 17:24 24 Apr 04

Booted with my old win 98 disc cleared the partition, created new partition, formatted and reinstalled winXP.
Worked second time around dont know why it didnt work 1st time but alls good now.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…