installing windows xp from a usb stick

Fallen_Angel1275 11:20 21 Mar 14

Is it possible to copy the windows px installation disc to a usb stick and make it bootable so i can install windows from it?

Jollyjohn 12:08 21 Mar 14

Yes Google - install xp from usb - and you get a lot of info including, click here do you want to do this?

Note if you are re installing XP you will need IE8 to install before any updates can be downloaded, IE6 no longer works.

Why

Jollyjohn 12:09 21 Mar 14

Edit to post, should ask Why do want to do this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 21 Mar 14

Jollyjohn

Why because some machines come without optical drives and windows needs to be installed from a USB stick.

Why XP because some old programs willnot work with the newer op systems.

Fallen_Angel1275

If the machine has sata drives then you will need to slipstream the SATA drivers to the XP installation on the USB stick using nlite as XP never came with SATA drivers and teherfore cannot see the drive

Jollyjohn 13:10 21 Mar 14

Hi

Fruitbat/\0/\ - I appreciate those points, was trying to gain a little more info. I have found the USB install route flaky, depending on USB stick manufacturer and hardware that will only run XP may not boot from USB.

Fallen_Angel1275 Is there a recovery partition on the PC you are trying to install XP on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced