Installing windows xp, no hard drive found ??

stephen0205 12:44 17 Mar 08

Ok i have a fuji-semins laptop with windows vista home premium and im fed up with it, vista is slow on and it i dont hink it was meant for the pc althought it came with it. So i got windows xp pro media center, inserted the disk and when it loaded it said no hard drives foun, how do i install windows xp now if it cant find my 120gb hard drive, im confused as i have installed windows xp in other laptops for friends and never had this problem please help me.

MAJ 12:56 17 Mar 08

You'll need the SATA drivers for the drive if it's a SATA drive. One of the problems with going back to XP is that sometimes there aren't SATA drivers released for XP for particular drives.

stephen0205 13:01 17 Mar 08

so where do i look i have no clue

My laptop is a fujitsu siemins amilo li1818 i think, how would i find the drivers for this, i think its ide. And it has no floppy drive.

lotvic 13:11 17 Mar 08

Before you wipe Vista off the hard drive I would advise making an Acronis Image so that you can go back to Vista if the XP install goes belly up. Either save the Image to CD/DVD's or anything external.

Use something like SIW click here to gather the info on your pc and save it to a log file and put it on a usb flash stick / or anything external.

MAJ 13:12 17 Mar 08

According to this page click here it has a SATA drive, the SATA drivers are there, but how you're going to install them without a floppy drive beats me, you could make a slipstream CD with XP and the SATA drivers on it.

woodchip 13:13 17 Mar 08

Look click here

woodchip 13:14 17 Mar 08

Don't Forget you need all XP drivers for the Laptop. Not just Sata

MAJ 13:18 17 Mar 08

Quite correct, woodchip, but I did check and they're all there. ;)

pk46 13:25 17 Mar 08

Have you checked the HARD Drive is not disabled in the bios boot section?????

stephen0205 14:42 17 Mar 08

its cant be disabled, it runs vista and boots fine, i just dont want it, and yes there is drivers avalible for media center on thier site.

Whats a slipstream image ???

paul€ 14:52 17 Mar 08

You can put the SATA drivers on a memory stick.

What you have is Vista stopping you from loading XP. If you try to boot from CD, it will hide your hard drive and not allow you to downgrade.

You must use a third party partitioning software to wipe the hard drive and the recovery partition before it will load XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…