Installing Windows XP

frostysnowman 20:39 28 Feb 07

I am about to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a new build PC. Does anybody know the correct order procedure for going about this install? I have read somewhere on the Net that once you have installed Windows XP and the Chipset Drivers, etc that you should connect to the internet and go to Windows Update. I have always thought that you should install and update your security software first and then visit Windows Update, any advice on this please. I also partition the whole drive first with NTFS and then before updating my security software and Windows Update, I resize my C Partition and then partition the rest of the drive using Partition Magic. Is there a better way than this or is this way OK. Any advice on the above appreciated.

woodchip 20:43 28 Feb 07

When you have loaded Windows it's just like any other comp. You load all motherboard Drivers Graphics and Sound drivers Then think about Anti-Virus software before you go on the net to update it. Any is better than none. Then take it fromn there

Terry Brown 20:47 28 Feb 07

I would suggest un-pluging the internet while you are loading XP and all related software (including virus checkers), then turn on your internet connected and load your updates.XP should find your IP configurations automaticly.
Terry

johnem 21:51 28 Feb 07

You may find that SP2 will not install until you have registered yuor copy of XP with Microsoft.

I am Spartacus 21:54 28 Feb 07

I did an installation of XP Pro a couple of days ago and installed SP2 before activating.

woodchip 21:56 28 Feb 07

If it's a new Disc SP2 will load when you load XP as later discs have it on the disc

Strawballs 22:07 28 Feb 07

I take it that you are using an old retail copy (not OEM)of XP that you have removed from an old PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…