installing windows xp

jojopops 14:18 30 Apr 04

have been trying to install windows xp but not sure what it means when it says partition. I thought it would overwrite the windows ME thats already on my pc.

ZEROTOLERANCE 14:30 30 Apr 04

did you do fresh install or upgrade?

Eric10 14:33 30 Apr 04

A partition is an area of your hard drive that is prepared so that your operating system can use it once it has been formatted. If you create one partition it will use the whole of the drive and become C:. If you create two partitions you will get C: and D: which will appear as two separate drives even though you only have one physical drive. click here for more information. In particular see the section headed: "How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup".

Stuartli 14:34 30 Apr 04

If you use the links on this page and in the right hand column (including click here;en-us;Q316639), you'll find the answers to any questions about installing XP over ME:

click here

BurrWalnut 14:36 30 Apr 04

If you have a full copy of WinXP (or WinXP upgrade plus full WinME), change the BIOS boot sequence to put the CDROM drive ahead of the hard disk, put the WinXP CD in the drive and answer the questions you are asked. As it starts to install, I suggest you set up 2 partitions, one for XP and one for data. Depending upon the hard disk size don't allocate more than about 20Gb to drive C. The rest becomes drive D where you can store data, e.g. pictures, music, videos and the like.

So, the basic sequence is partition the disk, format the partitions, install windows.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…