Installing windows xp

swapper 08:19 22 Jan 04

I have done a search in this Forum and think I have got the jist of what we want to do, but we are still not certain, confirmation would be appreciated.
My friend (not on line) has windowsME and wishes to replace it with windowsXP.
He has nothing on ME that he requires.
Can he just install his windowsXP by putting it in d drive.
For a clean install
Should he switch on, F8 to get to DOS, type format c:\ and then restart the PC, put Winxp in d drive and go from there?

andrew-216448 08:24 22 Jan 04

it depends on what xp you have. if its an upgrade edition, all you have to do is put it in your drive and it will install. if you have the full version, it is better to format the drive and have a clean install.

Lozzy 08:26 22 Jan 04

If there is nothing on the HDD he wishes to back up then insert the XP CD into the ROM whilst IN WINDOWS then follow the on screen wizard.

Now when you get to the point in the wizard where it says Recommended Installation click on the downward arrow and alter it to FULL Installation. This will make the PC re boot and format the HDD so that you have a clean Installation. I would also recommend that you make your file system NTFS as apposed to Fat32.

Terrahawk 08:28 22 Jan 04

go into the bios set your cdrom as 1st bootable device insert your xp cd reboot follow instructions you will get an option to format during the installlation procees

User-312386 08:43 22 Jan 04

I would search for any apropriate drievrs that are needed

User-312386 08:44 22 Jan 04

drievrs= DRIVERS

swapper 14:56 22 Jan 04

WEll, thanks for the very prompt replies from everyone.

He has a new WinXP disk. I'm not sure about his drivers, so I will check.

I think we will go from here, and install at the weekend.

I will return with the results of your suggestions. thanks again.

swapper 21:28 27 Jan 04

Thanks for everyones excellent installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…