installing windows for the first time

gizzyx 21:22 01 Jan 03
  gizzyx 21:22 01 Jan 03

i have a new system and i am trying to install win98 second edition. each time i try, when copying windows files it gets to 19 percent and then stops. i have tried two seperate windows discs. i have also tried reformatting my hdd before reinstalling windows, but each time it just does the same 19%. can anyone help?

howard60 21:51 01 Jan 03

type md [for make directory] md 98setup - call it something like 98 setup. start with a floppy start up disk and copy the win9x folder from the cd to the hdd 98setup. Then cd [for change directory] cd 98setup [return] and then type setup and see if it does any better.

gizzyx 22:02 01 Jan 03

sorry, but i'm not too hot in dos,howard60. could you explain this a bit clearer, please. i don't know how to copy the win98 folder from cd to hdd. thanx in anticipation.

howard60 22:12 01 Jan 03

I take it you have a win 98 start up disk if not you can download one - try gooogle. when you start you are offered the choice to start with cd support - ok this. type c: to change to the c drive. type md 98setup if you decide to call it that. type e: if that is the cd drive letter told to you by the startup prog. type dir return and see what is on your 98 cd. you should see a few directories one being win9x.exe type cd win9x.exe return - type copy *.* c:\98setup return - you should then see the system copying files. when it completes type c: return then cd 98setup - then type setup and it should start working.

woodchip 22:23 01 Jan 03

First go into cmos setup when you start your computer, on the first screen you need to turn of the anti-virus check. To enter setup watch the screen when you start and it will tell you what to press probably Del key. The try running setup again.

gizzyx 15:01 02 Jan 03

woodchip, cant find an option in cmos to disable antivirus.
howard60, followed your instructions, but still got only to 19% then installation stopped. any more ideas, anyone?

gizzyx 15:02 02 Jan 03

woodchip, cant find an option in cmos to disable antivirus.
howard60, followed your instructions, but still got only to 19% then installation stopped. any more ideas, anyone?

FDISK from floppy 98SE start up check partition! delete partition then reinstall partition! next format then try floppy setup should work sounds like you have a partition problem

woodchip 15:20 02 Jan 03

Suggest remove sound card, Modem and any other hardware you can including extra CDrom or CDRW or DVD etc, just to get windows on the drive the install back one at a time. you just need floppy One Cdrom and hard drive

woodchip 15:22 02 Jan 03

PS also printers scanners usb cards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac