Installing Windows Backup without the CD?

Daibus 18:57 26 Aug 06

My HP notebook did not come with a XP Home CD as it has a recovery partition on the HD.

I would like to install Windows XP Backup - is there a way of doing this without the Windows XP CD?

Cheers.

€dstowe 19:08 26 Aug 06

I would (do) use an independent backup program in preference to the limited Windows one.

I use Acronis TrueImage with the backup stored on different hard drive to that on which the main Windows system is installed.

In your case with a notebook computer, I would use a USB miniature hard drive.

Daibus 19:19 26 Aug 06

Thanks for your reply - I do use Acronis but for some reason it would not function properly with my HP notebook, not producing an Acronis Archive on completion of the process.

I emailed Acronis and they asked me to try Backup via Windows - that was the only reason I wanted the XP programme installed.

Maybe the failure of the Acronis Backup is because of the HP Recovery Partition which is installed on the Hard Drive?

robgf 20:12 26 Aug 06

Hi,
You can download the Windows backup program (ntbackup.exe)from here:
click here

There is also a link at the bottom of the page, for an Enhanced Windows Backup, which looks interesting, although I haven't tried it myself.

It is possible that the HP recovery partition interfered with Acronis. I accidentally lost my Packard Bell recovery partition, while using imaging software, so be careful.
Luckily PB give an option to create a recovery CD/DVD, from the recovery partition, which I had already done (whew). If HP provide a similar service, I would use it, just to be safe.

Rob. :)

Daibus 10:22 27 Aug 06

Many thanks as I´ve now downloaded the Windows Backup utility.

Will try again with Acronis and I think that it gives me the option to Backup without including the recovery partition on C/:- would this be a satisfactory and safer way to go?

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…