Installing Windows 98

Eileanbeag 14:51 02 Oct 06

I have formatted hard drive and am now trying to reinstall Windows 98. When I try to use the setup instruction I always get a Bad command and file name response. The system tools have been loaded to Drive E so I have tried drives C, D and F. Can you help

mosfet 18:24 02 Oct 06

Are you booting from floppy or CD?
You should not get a command prompt from CD!

mattyc_92 18:30 02 Oct 06

If you are using the 'Windows 98 Startup Disc' (a floppy disc), then use the following commands (where [enter] means press enter):

D: [enter]
setup.exe [enter]

You may need to try different drive-letters (your CD-Drive is probably F:)

Eileanbeag 18:47 02 Oct 06

Have tried that and get an error message CDR101: Not ready reading Drive F

GaT7 18:55 02 Oct 06

This any help - click here

Ex plorer 19:31 02 Oct 06

Last time I installed 98 I think it went like this at the
C:
Type md win98 Enter
Type cd win98 Enter
Put the win 98 in the CD Rom
Type copy d:\win98 Enter
When it spins type Setup and then Enter

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:37 02 Oct 06

Not ready reading Drive F

You have got the windows 98 CD in the drive?

if tools are on E then your cd drive is F:

At the A:\ prompt type F: press enter

the CD should read and you then get the f:\ prompt
type setup press enter and you should then beable to follow the onscreen prompts to install 98.

Terry Brown 20:47 02 Oct 06

You could have a duff Dos Boot disk( not loading cd drivers). Download the win 98 file from click here and create a new floppy boot.Good Luck
Terry

slimbo51 20:53 02 Oct 06

Sounds to me like the Boot Disk hasn't got any atapi drivers on it to enable CD Rom operation.

woodchip 20:55 02 Oct 06

After creating a boot disc, start with the disc it will ask "start with CD Rom Support" click enter it will load Ram drive and CD Rom drivers then it will revert to A:\> at a:\> you have to type the CD drive letter like X: X is the is not your drive letter your drive letter will be the next drive letter up from what it was when you had windows working before, so if it was E:\ it would be F:\ to find the drive you can type in a drive letter like G: then at

G:\> type DIR to see if it can see the CD with Win98 on it. If not try another drive letter untill you find the Win98 folder. Then just type Setup, after windows scans the drive press X to exit scandisc then Enter to start setup

woodchip 21:04 02 Oct 06

Boot disc may not cover your CD rom Drive. If not you need to fix another different one temporary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…