Installing windows 95

Devious Dave 16:36 15 May 03

My father wants me to do a clean install of windows 95 on his PC. I have formatted the hard drive with no problems. Now I want to install win 95 but the CD doesn't seem to be bootable like 98, xp etc. What do I do next. Thanks, David.

fitshase 16:53 15 May 03

Visit this site:-

click here

and download the necessary boot disk onto a floppy disk. Put the disk (along with the Win95 CD) in your father's computer and then switch it on.

Devious Dave 17:04 15 May 03

Thnaks for the reply Fitshase I downlaoded the boot disk put it in the machine and i get is a A prompt. what command do I have to type to get it to run win 95 setup on the CD. Thanks

Devious Dave 17:25 15 May 03

fitshase 17:27 15 May 03

When at the A: prompt, type:-

D: <enter>

Obviously you don't type "<enter>" you just press the enter key on the keyboard.

tell 01:31 16 May 03

I have on several occasions used the win98 boot disk to boot win 95 it works with no problems at all on most setups but on the odd occasion the a prompt will be the way to go, as stated by the previous advisor just type in D then type setup:
press enter and away you jolly well go

anchor 15:34 16 May 03

As has been said, when you start with a Win 98 boot disc, (remember to choose "start with CD support"), you will be left with an A prompt.

However, the CD drive is moved down one letter, so to access the CD you should type E: then press enter. Then type setup.exe with the Win 95 CD in the CD drive, then press enter again. (As I recall, diagnostic tools are installed into this imaginary drive D).

This assumes that you have only one hard drive installed.

You should use either the Win 98 or Win ME boot disc, as the Win 95 one does not provide CD Rom support.

Devious Dave 15:58 16 May 03

I booted from the win 95 boot disk and typed E: and it said "invalid drive" or something like that. I went through every letter in the alphabet and got the same message "invalid drive" so I tried a 98 boot disk and got the same message. At that point I gave up and told my dad that he would have to learn to use 98 (it not that different after all). Install of 98 went fine and had no problem finding the nesscessary drivers. I would however like to know why I was getting that message when installing 95 as the CD rom drive was present in the Bios. Thnaks, David.

anchor 20:16 16 May 03

Well he

Well he

Well he

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…