Installing Windows

yogibear 18:17 10 Apr 03

My yougest sons PC went gaga so I took the opportunity to fdisk it, formatted it, and replace Win 98 SE with Win ME (legit copy!)
The first two stages went ok, but I cannot get ME to load at all.I repeated the process with 98 SE and it worked fine.
Surely all traces of any previous installation should have been erased, so ME should load up no prob?
Is it anything to do with changing from FAT 16 to FAT 32?

Kryten 18:37 10 Apr 03

Fat 16/32 will not matter. Have you checked that the installation disk is ok? Also could you post any on-screen messages you might have got when you tried to install it.

yogibear 18:42 10 Apr 03

Hi, I'll try it again and note down all the messages. Disk seems to be ok, but not too sure how to check it? Pretty certain I have used it before without these probs, though.

yogibear 21:33 10 Apr 03

Right, I get through the whole process (BIOS altered to enable boot up from floppy) then I come to load Win ME. I restart it (BIOS back to boot from CD-ROM), then I get the following:-

RPL-ROM-ADR:0007 952D 048B
RPL-ROM-IRQ:5
RPL-ROM-PIO:CC00

RPL-ROM-FFC:5

boot failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready.

searching for boot record from CD-ROM..not found
searching for boot record from IDE-O..OK

invalid system disk.
replace the disc, and then press any key

Kryten 01:00 11 Apr 03

I never set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM. Mine are set Floppy drive first, then IDE-0.

Is it trying to boot from the hard drive after format, and before the operating system is installed?

I set floppy to boot first. Then boot with floppy and then install Operating system. Then after it says create boot-able disk click NO and remove the floppy and let it continue with installation. I never have the BIOS set to boot from CD-ROM as I never boot from the CD-ROM.

tbh72 01:31 11 Apr 03

Incase you haven't found the answer..... Simply you need to access the CD Rom drive (winME)If it's failing to boot from the winME cd rom, choose either a 98 floppy or CD and make sure you resart pc with CD Rom support.

The computer should then start with a black DOS screen where you can type something like

X = CD ROM Drive letter

X:\winme\setup.exe

that should then kick start the installation of windows ME for you..... Obviously make sure you put the ME disk in the drive!!!

yogibear 11:40 14 Apr 03

Thanks for all of the above. I'll give it a whirl after the hols. Happy Easter all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5