Installing Windows 7 on Mesh PC

Peter Lanky 10:34 23 Feb 10

I have 2 Mesh PC, both with Athlon 64 3200+ processor and Asus K8VSE Mobo. I have tried to install Vista on one PC. Unfortunately the PC seems to be configured in a strange way (unlike any other PC I have worked with) which appears to rely on the hard drive to provide information for the bios, and this has been corrupted, rendering the PC unusable.

When booting up, it mentions something called 'stripe', but googling for this seems to refer to multiple hard drives, but I have only one..

I want to install Windows 7 on my other Mesh PC, preferably on a new hard drive, but don't want the same problems.Has anyone tried doing this who can pass on their experience.

Graphicool1 10:56 23 Feb 10

Have you run the Win7 compatibility test? click here

mgmcc 11:02 23 Feb 10

You could try the "MESH Computers Owners Club" forums click here

Compaq PCs used to have a hidden partition with a file that was required in order to access the BIOS. I know because I repartitioned the drive and could no longer access the BIOS!! However, the file could actually be downloaded and reinstalled if necessary. MESH may have something similar.

Graphicool1 15:05 23 Feb 10

I have a MESH PC and when I ran the Win7 compatibility test (just to see) it said I would have to update my graphic card drive to the latest. My Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400. But when I checked with NVIDIA they said that the latest drivers don't support Win7. It's a good job that I was only looking out of curiosity and have no intention changing from WinXP.

Peter Lanky 17:46 23 Feb 10

I have run a compatibility test, and the only issue is this 'Promise Fast Track 378 controller' that is causing the problem in the first place, so when I can find the answer to that....

The Mesh user group would be fine if it didn't take an age to be moderated before I can use it.

MAT ALAN 18:47 23 Feb 10

click here

follow thread it may give a clue as to whats going on...

Peter Lanky 20:05 23 Feb 10

I've read that forum earlier today, and it didn't make much sense then, as it talks about multiple drives.

My drive has a small partition that I assume is to allow the Mesh recovery CD to operate, but it also seems to provide information for the bios, judging by the message 'bios not loaded' when I booted up without that partition.

Anyway, that PC is now in many parts, and I have made a single half decent PC out of the best bits of both my Mesh PCs.

Unless I can fathom out exactly what 'Promise Fast Track 378 controller' actually is, then I'm stuck with XP. And here was I thinking that one simply connected a hard drive to the Mobo and installed Windows on it....nothing so simple.

MAT ALAN 20:15 23 Feb 10

click here
might help...

Peter Lanky 20:30 23 Feb 10

I recall now when I first bought the PC, it was when SATA drives were fairly new, and my original Mesh disk didn't have SATA drivers, so Mesh sent me a new driver disk.

This is clearly going to be far more trouble than it's worth, so I'm definitely sticking with XP till the computer dies. At least my X1650 graphics should still have some residual value if nothing else does.

GaT7 20:30 23 Feb 10

If you need to install it (i.e. disabling it doesn't help), then click here & scroll down to the last post. Apparently the XP driver worked & can be downloaded from there.

If it doesn't, you can try installing the XP driver with the help of Win7's inbuilt Compatibility Mode - click here for instructions. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…