Installing windows 2000

Blade 69 18:15 30 Oct 03

I want to install windows 2000 on to my current system which is windows ME but I get an error with the w95upg.dll file and it then says windows cannot continue to install. Is there a way of installing windows 2000 without a format?

thanks in advance

Sir Radfordin 18:18 30 Oct 03

It normally only lets you do this if you have an upgrade version of the newer OS. If its a full version of Win2k then you will have to format the PC to install it.

temp003 06:48 31 Oct 03

The reason you can't upgrade here is Windows 2000 was released before Windows ME, and so there is no upgrade path as such (even though Windows 2000 is indeed a better OS).

Had your existing OS been 98, your CD would have been able to upgrade it to Windows 2000.

If you're fairly sure that your hardware and software is compatible with Windows 2000, it's much better to start afresh by formatting and installing a fresh copy of w2k (after backing up the files you need). If your existing computer came with Windows ME preinstalled, then the likelihood is that both hard and software will be compatible (since ME came after 2000), although it cannot be taken for granted. Windows 2000 has been out for quite a time, so most hardware and software providers would have the necessary drivers/compatibility with Windows 2000. You can check compatibility on the Microsoft website.

Alternatively, if you have another partition on your hard disk (or can create a new one), you can create a dual boot between Windows Me and Windows 2000 by installing a fresh copy of Windows 2000 to the new partition. Windows 2000 Setup will create the dual boot itself, and after installation, you will get a selection between the two OS's. In a dual boot, ideally the Windows 2000 partition should be FAT32 as well.

Is there any particular reason you don't want to reformat?

If you really don't want to format the hard disk but still want to install w2k, there is a half way house of installing w2k without formatting, while keeping most of your data (but you would still need to reinstall all your programmes). This is because of the different folder structure between ME and 2k, so that an installation of w2k to the C drive (without formatting C) would not overwrite most of the stuff from Windows ME.

Post back if you really want to take this route.

But whatever route you take, it is always advisable to back up important files or data, as things can go wrong in an installation of a new OS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…