Installing Windows

tanzanitre 23:30 04 Aug 04

Ok not a prob as yet,but im going to attempt my first install of windows XP,Dont really need to but apart from pc needing a good clean out and the fact i av no original xp cd and am very eager to give it a try.I backed up important stuff to cd and have read up a bit on it.Is their any advice i might need incase i run into difficulties?

Strawballs 23:33 04 Aug 04

If you don't have a windows CD how are you intending to install windows

tanzanitre 23:37 04 Aug 04

I have just purchased!

Smegs 23:43 04 Aug 04

Just make sure you have all the drivers for the hardware. If not, download them from the net first.

tanzanitre 23:48 04 Aug 04

Thanks...goood point but em is their an easy way to do this?Tried before and was totally confused.

bvw in bristol 23:49 04 Aug 04

Powerless has posted an excellent tutorial on installing XP which you should find helpful.

click here

Strawballs 23:55 04 Aug 04

If it is XP pro the chances are most of the drivers you will need to get you running will already be on there unless you have a new system with all of the very latest hareware.

tanzanitre 00:04 05 Aug 04

Im on xp pro now and am going to install xp home.

bvw in bristol....thanks for the link have saved in favourites!

Another question regarding the partition? My drive is currently split in 2,will it stay like that unless i choose otherwise? Or will i have to partition it again and is this neccessary?

File format is Fat32 shall i leave at that or choose ntfs.

Thanks!

Strawballs 00:07 05 Aug 04

NTFS is more stable and works quicker.

bvw in bristol 00:18 05 Aug 04

Save your important docs etc to your 2nd partition, it won't be touched. Clean install XP to your C drive, this will format it and delete everything.

NTFS is better, you can convert your 2nd partition from Fat32 to NTFS later quite easily.

tanzanitre 00:30 05 Aug 04

Ok so i save important stuff to the D drive? I dont partition leave it as it is then and will i get an option not to touch the d drive and work with the C drive instead! Sorry not wording this the best just dont wanna accidentally format both drives!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…