Installing W98SE over W98 1st Edition

deannatrois 23:37 30 Jun 03

I have a friend who wants to keep all her old stuff on an old pc she has but she has W98 1st Edition and hasn't been updating it. Not surprisingly she is experiencing a few problems with using I.E etc.

I would like to install W98 SE over the top of her W98 1st Edition with all the relevant
MS updates but as the system is so old am a little concerned I could cause more problems than I solve.

Does anyone remember ever doing this (like most people I purchased a PC with W98SE on it rather than the 1st edition cause of the problems with the 1st edition).

Forum Editor 23:43 30 Jun 03

of SE and not an upgrade you should have no problems, but before you start make sure that your friend has backed up her important files to a CD, or a different partition on the hard drive.

Also make sure that you have all the necessary Win98SE drivers on removeable media - there's nothing worse than finishing an operating system install, only to find that you need to connect to the internet for something, and you don't have the right modem driver.

woodchip 23:45 30 Jun 03

You could try it but it's in your hands. Just run setup from within windows, disable anti-virus and any running programs. or run in DOS after starting with Win98 floppy start disc. second option is best

woodchip 23:46 30 Jun 03

PS backup hear docs etc first

Rtus 23:47 30 Jun 03

Id be inclined to Use another Hard drive and install W98se on that Obviously if theres room in the case..(you could then dual boot(partition magic Pq boot )) I suspect the original Hard drive may be a little short of room to add W98se to it..Or use drive caddies to boot to drive of choice..

lester1 00:45 01 Jul 03

Iv'e tried
Se wouldn't load
Came up with " This is not an ungradeable version"

deannatrois 01:15 01 Jul 03

Many thanks for all your responses.

Lester1

Much to my suprise I did find a reference to this situation. When 'upgrading' from Windows 98 to W98SE, using the full version disc of W98SE, u have to rename the win.com file to win.old and this supposedly fools the pc into accepting W98SE as an upgrade.

Can anyone else confirm that this works? I'd hate to leave my friend's PC in a worse condition than it is already (altho that would be hard lol).

Very very silly question coming up - is there an easy way to copy just the PC's hardware drivers? I usually back up everything but wondered if there is a way to just copy the drivers other than copying them individually.

Stuartli 01:41 01 Jul 03

When I installed Windows98SE over 98 I had no problems afterwards - the only necessity was to download and install all the updates from the WindowsUpdate website afterwards.

woodchip 10:40 01 Jul 03

The drivers should be OK if you are only overwriting the OS. Win98 will see these an accept them

deannatrois 11:08 01 Jul 03

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to write a response.

Crossed fingers for tonite lol!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…