installing w2k on laptop with failed dvd rom

Fridge 13:43 06 Mar 04

ive got a laptop (Advent5372) and the dvd rom is u/s.
ive now purchased a freecom external dvd rw and i want to install win2k onto my laptop.

have formatted hd but stupidly forgot that i can't see the new drive as it is USB

any ideas

cheers jasper

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 06 Mar 04

In the absense of a better suggestion, I would asdvice you to connect the laptop hdd to a desktop machine.

From there, copy the Win2k CD onto the laptop hdd.

Then boot the laptop with a bootable floppy and run the install program.

But wait till a better suggestion comes along...

Taran 14:17 06 Mar 04

There's an artivle that may help on the Bootdisk.com site:

click here

I had a Freecom external drive a year or so ago and I'm sure it came with a bootable CD which ad the necessary files on to activate the eternal USB device. I no longer own the device but you could check the CD on a friends computer and if the files are there they could possibly be incorporated into a boot up floppy.

Faling that, does the laptop have a LAN port and if so is it bootable from LAN ?

If you answered yes to those two questions you can hook the machine into another PC via a crossover cable or into a network, boot the machine from its LAN card and install over a network share. Not a simple solution I know, but hey, you asked.

Diodorus Siculus 14:22 06 Mar 04

Should have known that a sensible answer would come along...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…