installing w2k on laptop with failed dvd rom

Fridge 13:43 06 Mar 04

ive got a laptop (Advent5372) and the dvd rom is u/s.
ive now purchased a freecom external dvd rw and i want to install win2k onto my laptop.

have formatted hd but stupidly forgot that i can't see the new drive as it is USB

any ideas

cheers jasper

Diodorus Siculus 14:12 06 Mar 04

In the absense of a better suggestion, I would asdvice you to connect the laptop hdd to a desktop machine.

From there, copy the Win2k CD onto the laptop hdd.

Then boot the laptop with a bootable floppy and run the install program.

But wait till a better suggestion comes along...

Taran 14:17 06 Mar 04

There's an artivle that may help on the Bootdisk.com site:

click here

I had a Freecom external drive a year or so ago and I'm sure it came with a bootable CD which ad the necessary files on to activate the eternal USB device. I no longer own the device but you could check the CD on a friends computer and if the files are there they could possibly be incorporated into a boot up floppy.

Faling that, does the laptop have a LAN port and if so is it bootable from LAN ?

If you answered yes to those two questions you can hook the machine into another PC via a crossover cable or into a network, boot the machine from its LAN card and install over a network share. Not a simple solution I know, but hey, you asked.

Diodorus Siculus 14:22 06 Mar 04

Should have known that a sensible answer would come along...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…