Installing Visual Basic

Ron Pond 11:57 12 Jun 06

Hi,
On the July 2006 cover DVD there is a copy of Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express and I would like to give it a try. I've downloaded the file En_vb_2005_express.iso to my hard disc, as instructed, and then installed CDBurnerXP from the cover disc. I've used that to burn an image of the Viual Basic file to a CD. I can see it's there on the CD but when I click on the file, it tells me that Windows is unable to open it. What am I doing wrong, please?

VoG II 12:02 12 Jun 06

You can download it from click here and no need to burn to CD.

jz 22:42 12 Jun 06

VOG: just wondered what you think of the .net version of VB.

Ron Pond 11:19 13 Jun 06

VOG: Thanks for your lightning response to my query (is that the smell of scorched paint coming from my computer?). I'm grateful for your suggestion of downloading it directly from the Microsoft website and for the link you provided. I'll definitely try that approach and see how I get on. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply to my cry for help!

Ron Pond

woodchip 11:24 13 Jun 06

Try starting your Computer with the CD you burned in the Drive

Ron Pond 11:45 23 Jun 06

woodchip: Thanks for your helpful suggestion and my apologies for not responding to your posting earlier but I've been out of circulation for a few days. I did try with the CD in the drive, as you suggested, but without success. Now that I've looked at the Microsoft website, as VoG suggested, it would seem that there should have been some sort of startup.exe file to go with the application file but unfortunately this wasn't present on the PC Advisor cover disc. Its absence would explain why your suggestion was also of no avail. Thanks again for your trouble in trying to help me.
Ron Pond

Rigga 14:33 23 Jun 06

It sounds as though you have burnt the iso as a data file, so that the En_vb_2005_express.iso file appears on the cd in explorer.

When you put the cd in the drive do you see the En_vb_2005_express.iso file listed?

If so this is not right. You need to burn the iso as a disk image. I'm not familiar with CDBurnerXP, but there should be an option to burn disk image in there somewhere. Maybe someone who uses CDBurnerXP can advise.

HTH.
R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…