Installing Vista

Simsy 14:39 15 Dec 10

Folks,

Simple question...

Does installign Vista has the same issues with SATA drives as XP...

ie. I have come by a laptop, (HP/Compaq nx6325), about 4 years old, that I need to install on OS on...
Label on it says it's Vista capable, and HP/Compaq website lists Vista drivers, but not Win 7...

If I were to buy Vista for it, (which I have found), will I be presented with the same issues as XP installtion with regard to SATA driver?

I presume not... when Vista came out SATA drives were the norm, were they not... so I expect that the Vista install will not present that problem... will it?

(I'd install Ubuntu... but I've tried, and the wireless isn't working... and I'm not going to persue that as this is for someone else and I think they'd really prefer Windows!)

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

ventanas 14:46 15 Dec 10

I've installed it half a dozen times on at least three machines and never had problem with SATA or anything else.
But these were discs that came with the machines. Not recovery discs though. Proper Vista DVD's.
Machines were Dell and the drivers are put on separately after the OS. So I don't think you will have a problem.

ventanas 14:48 15 Dec 10

Should have said that the installs were a complete reformat and reinstall.
And it is very quick. But watch out for the tiny box buried in a corner that needs ticking if you want to reformat.

ventanas 14:52 15 Dec 10

click here

This may help.

Simsy 14:58 15 Dec 10

Much appreciated,

Regards,

Simsy

mooly 19:01 15 Dec 10

Not really answering your question but just to say that I clean installed Vista using a similar method to ventanas' link on what is now a four year old Acer laptop (AMD Turion mobile and 2gb) and it's great. I say similar... you can do the same from an OEM upgrade DVD by installing once as a clean full version, then reinstall straight away choosing upgrade... an that complies with the license and is OK.
click here
look at step 13 and 14... to format. As ventanas mentioned it's easily missed.
Don't believe all you hear re Vista... it flies. I reckon on 75 to 90 seconds to boot to fully populated desktop with aero and sidebar. Shutdown is rapid too.

You will find the updates and service packs a killer, around 8 to 10 hours of updating at a guess if you do it all in one and keep clicking check for updates. Do a google search for "clean up Vista service pack" for packs 1 and 2 and there is a built in command prompt that frees loads of HDD space (but makes the packs permanent and unable to be uninstalled).

And when all updated... make a disk image :)
I fact during the updating I kept a running Acronis incremental backup so if anything went wrong I could just recover quickly... you don't want to have to repeat all this.

May I suggest MSE for security... no performance hit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos