Installing and using an optical mouse

DEMONTRA 17:36 16 Sep 05

I have just purchased a wireless optical wheel mouse but I cannot get it to operate.The instuction is pants and,although the computer is recognising that the mouse is installed,the mouse will not operate.I am using a Dell Optiplex 170L.

woodchip 17:41 16 Sep 05

On the USB receiver there should be something to press you then have to do the same to the mouse you may need a pencil for the mouse underneath or at the back a little button

DEMONTRA 17:50 16 Sep 05

I've tried that and,although the connect light flashes on the receiver as the manual said it would the mouse is still not working.At the back of the manual it mentions that if the mouse is not detected it could be that other system devices(e.g.A LAN card)conflicts with the mouse and to check the IRQ/address settings of these devices for conflicts,and change the settings as required.If that is indeed the problem how do I go about doing this?

woodchip 18:02 16 Sep 05

This can be a Problem, You could try going into BIOS when computer starts and switch of Plug and Play Disable it. AS windows is Plug and Play they can conflict themselves but it may get it working. if not reenable it

woodchip 18:03 16 Sep 05

PS have you loaded the drivers that come with mouse?

DEMONTRA 18:26 16 Sep 05

That did not work either.I'm beginning to think that I've been sold a pup here!!!!!!

Jackcoms 18:38 16 Sep 05

That's the problem then.

You need a mouse for the laptop NOT a pup. ;-)

woodchip 19:01 16 Sep 05

If this is indeed a Laptop then the Mouse is conflicting with the touch pad. I had the same problem so use the Wireless on one of my desktops a bought a USB wired Optical mouse. Look in Bios to see if you can disable touch pad

Chegs ® 19:18 16 Sep 05

Quick check in Device Manager will soon show whether there is any conflicts with anything on the laptop.I use a cheapo USB wireless optical mouse,getting it to register on the same channel as the receiver was awkward,requiring many pushes of the mouse reset button and the receiver button.As I had been using a PS/2 wireless optical mouse it took several attempts to persuade XP to look at USB port.Each reboot initially got me "There is no mouse connected" message.Now the USB mouse is installed,I can also use PS/2 mouse port and have two mice to torment XP with. :-)

DEMONTRA 14:56 17 Sep 05

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but I ran into a totally different problem.Anyhow I am using a desktop computer not a laptop and was wondering if the same advice from Chegs woill still work.I toohave been using the PS/2 PORT and was switching to the usb port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now