Installing Updated Graphics Card Drivers

thegreypanther 13:50 30 May 05

Having had problems with my graphics card, I decided that installation of new drivers might help. I have downloaded a folder of drivers for my card, running in Windows XP, which when unzipped contains several DLL files, a SYS file, and an INF file.
Do I simply copy these into the directory where their equivalent files appear to be? Or is there anything more that needs to be done when updating drivers?

sidecar sid 13:57 30 May 05

What graphics card have you got?

ACOLYTE 13:57 30 May 05

Depending what card you have and the drivers you have downloaded,there should be a file called setup if you click this is shold install for you
but what card do you have and what drivers did you download,i have never heard of drivers comming in folders before.

Completealias 13:59 30 May 05

Is there a setup file eg setup.exe if so run this and it should update the drivers an alternative is to open the device manager find your graphics card on the list right click update driver and point it to the folder where the files are contained.

What card are you trying to update as it is best to uninstall the old drivers before updating to the new ones. If its a nivdia or ATI card then they are listed in the add / remove programs uninstall them first before updating

Joe R 14:02 30 May 05

emnic,

What graphics card is it.

Go to control panel-system-hardware-device manager, and make sure any old drivers are uninstalled.

Right click on the card, (will be under display adaptors), and click on update drivers, and when the hardware update window opens, choose not to connect to the internet, then, choose to install from a list or specific location, in the next window, click on browse and locate the folder, then click on next.

Joe R 14:03 30 May 05

Duh,

sleeping:o)

thegreypanther 14:26 30 May 05

I have a 3dfx Voodoo 3 graphics card. Fairly old (about 4 years). Used to run OK on Windows 98, but one or two problems recently with Windows XP.
The file I downloaded from a 3dfx site is a ZIP file, and contains 6 DLL files, a CAT file, and INF file, a SYS file and a LICENCE.TXT file. No instructions or anything, so being very cautious I thought that I would consult the PC Advisor Forum experts first.

Completealias 15:02 30 May 05

Firstly are you sure that the drivers you have found ar xp compatabile?

I would go with the right click method in device manager right click on your graphics card and uninstall then restart. When the pc starts up it will state found new hardware and will install the card with minimal drivers. Open device manager again right click on the graphics card this time choose update drivers choose advance install browse to the folder that contains the files and update.

To be on the safe side you can set a system restore point before doing this to have a known good point to rool back too

sidecar sid 15:13 30 May 05

You could try downloading this driver

click here

Save it to your desktop.

Next Right click my computer.

select properties.

Click on the hardware tab and select device manager.

On the list expand display adapters click on your graphics card select the drivers tap and click on uninstall.

Follow the on screen prompts but when it tells you to reboot youy PC click on no then shut it down as normal.

Reboot your PC.

Cancell the install new hardware wizard if it pops up and install the driver by double clicking on the desktop icon.

thegreypanther 15:54 30 May 05

Many thanks indeed for all the extremely helpful advice. Just the job!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…