Installing SuSE Linux on PC

machow 22:47 14 Mar 04

Hello all.

I currently have XP on my pc, and have attempted to install additional OS (linux). My hard disk was already partitioned, and i used partition magic to create new partition for Linux os.

Everything went well, however everytime i switched pc on it automatically booted to linux os. I had no way of booting XP.

I have since, deleted 3 partitions to get rid of linux and go through the entire xp set up process again.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how i can select which os to boot from when i first turn pc on.

Thanks in advance.

ericmax 23:34 14 Mar 04

When you install Suse it should include XP in the bootloader it installs on your drive,if it doesn't leave the MBR alone and go for the option to install the bootloader on a floppy usually fd0,then when you want to use suse just boot from the floppy instead.

machow 23:49 14 Mar 04

does this happen automatically when i put the first installation disk in? or is there something i need to do?

machow 23:49 14 Mar 04

thanks for the advice.
does this happen automatically when i put the first installation disk in? or is there something i need to do?

ericmax 23:56 14 Mar 04

Also by the sounds of things you reinstalled XP because you lost your bootloader,its easier to repair the MBR.Go to click here download the
Windows 98se bootdisk save it,run it and it will install itself onto a floppy.Boot from the floppy
and when the options come up press shift>f5 this will bring up a command prompt type in fdisk /mbr and hit enter when the prompt appears again remove the floppy and press the reset button your PC will reboot with a fresh bootscreen,don't forget the space between fdisk and /

ericmax 00:00 15 Mar 04

During the setup it will display its intended actions,and the default is to install the bootloader
on the MBR of your main drive,you should have the option to change this to the floppy which is fd0.

machow 13:37 15 Mar 04

thanks again.

Yes i did end up reinstalling XP :0(

I'll have a go at what you have said. Can you explain what MBR is, as im not sure???

Sorry, i get a little lost at times!

Chegs ® 13:46 15 Mar 04

MBR is the Master Boot Record,its the info the HDD uses to fire up.

ericmax 14:49 15 Mar 04

As Chegs has said it just tells your Pc what to do next,when you install a Linux distro alongside Windows it normally rewrites the MBR and just gives you a choice of which to boot into.

Taran 15:16 15 Mar 04

You can repair the Windows XP MBR manually with a few simple steps - in fact, sometimes you have to do it manually since a Windows 98 startup disk will have a headache if your drive is NTFS and the MBR it generates with the fdisk/mbr is not, strictly speaking, ideal for Windows XP. Windows XP does not use or support the fdisk/mbr switch.

For future reference, start the computer and boot from your Windows CD.

Allow setup to begin and wait until you see the list of install options.

Select R to repair an installation.

Select the drive/partition you want to repair - usually this is number 1 followed by pressing the Enter key.

Type in your administrator password then hit Enter to access it.

Type this:

then hit Enter.

Answer y then press Enter when asked are you sure you want to proceed.

After the message that a new master boot record file has been written, type exit then hit Enter to restart the PC which will now boot normally into Windows.

No reinstall necessary.

If you don't have a Windows XP CD ROM, you can download a set of XP boot disks from Microsoft or you can get some dedicated XP bootdisks from the same site linked to above click here

You can read the documentation on configuring the various Linux bootloaders here click here but be warned its pretty heavy going.

Bascially, during install if you go into the setup options that SuSE presents to you, you can choose to write the bootloader to a startup floppy disk instead of adding it to your MBR.

There's a useful littrle article on how to manually edit the preconfigured bootloader once you've installed SuSE here click here

This means that even when SuSE adds its own bootloader to your MBR you can still set it up to use Windows as the default OS, if that's what you prefer.

fitcher 19:56 15 Mar 04

when you put suse on did you make a boot disk? it is still possible if you can get in to suse . make one by using yast2 // and have a linux suse disk at the ready /the boot disk you make will ask for start,, in windows or start in linux ,,by pressing enter to the one you want to boot ,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…