Installing Sun Java on XP

bstock 21:39 23 Feb 04

Have tried both the automatic and mannual download routes and each time it doesn't seem to work.

All the help files seem to refer to

a)the Java boxes in Internet options, none of which are visible on my machine, only the Microsoft Java boxes.

b)the java plug in console within the control panel- again this is nt present either.

I presume I'm missing something really obvious but I can't fathom it so any suggestions gratefully received.

LastChip 22:17 23 Feb 04

Only in as much, as I have never known a problem with installing java.

With the manual version, you double click the icon from wherever you downloaded it, and let it install. You must do this logged in as Administrator. Are you doing this?

Are you getting any error messages during the install?

And forgive me, a really blunt question. You have got the right version for Windows?

bstock 08:11 24 Feb 04

Thanks LastChip but I have now solved the problem - I did mention it woud be something obvious.

What I did was firstly uninstall it again, the I disabled NIS2004 and NAV and then attempted a re-install then hey presto there it was.

Can't help thinking it a bit strange though that if people with NAV want to do the automatic download from the internet then they have to open themselves to attack.

Hope NAV's as good at catching (sorry that should stopping) viruses etc

Hope this rather obvious solution helps one or two others

Bye for Now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…