Installing SP2.

Daibus 15:05 14 Feb 05

I know this has probably been gone over but I'm just about to install SP2 and cannot remember if I should disable, while installing some of my software, namely; NAV,Spywareblaster,AdAware,Microsoft AntiSpyware,Sygate,Spybot and also should I temporarily disable System Restore?

Thank you for your advice, and I suppose I must also ask if the general opinion is, that it is now beneficial to have SP2 installed?

Cheers.

scooby43 15:10 14 Feb 05

I think sp2 sets its own restore point before installation. I would disable anything such as virus scans as you dont want them interupting the install.

SANTOS7 15:11 14 Feb 05

click here
this will help,good luck.........

Totally-braindead 15:14 14 Feb 05

I didn't disable restore when I installed any of them and they work fine, but you have got me wondering if I should have or not. On the subject of SP2 I'm one of the ones that has had no problems with anything since installing SP2 and I do find it beneficial, I particularily like the security options and of course if you don't like them you can always disable them. I'm probably biased as I've had no problems with SP2 I'm sure I'd have had another opinion if it mucked things up.

fsbb 16:07 14 Feb 05

I received my MS SP2 on CD last November and finally took the plunge and installed it yesterday.

Installation automatically creates a restore point but to be safe I created one manually.

Before installation I cleaned out all temporary folders, uninstalled software no longer used, ran disk cleanup, scanned and removed adware/spyware etc and did a defrag. In other words I tidied up hard drive. Also shut down AVG.

Installation lasted around 20 minutes. Re-booted and ran Windows update to install latest updates since SP2 (14 for my system). Then did another defrag. Disabled Windows firewall as I run Zone Alarm.

So far all seems well.

This is first time I have ever updated an OS and I must say I feel quite good knowing my system is fully up to date.

I personally have switched off auto update as I prefer to manually check AVG, ZA, Adaware and now Windows a few times a week.

Daibus 18:21 14 Feb 05

Thanks guys for your advice.

Have installed SP2 and all seems fine, so far!
One question ...is there any harm or benefit in having Microsoft Firewall enabled, together with Sygate, that is already installed on my computer?

fsbb 09:58 15 Feb 05

Could cause conlicts. MS Firewall only does part of job. I suggest you turn off MS Firewall.

Daibus 18:47 15 Feb 05

fsbb

Cheers...I will do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…