installing sound card

pookie 13:15 07 Oct 05

hi

windows xp home, 1.5gb ddr, 3ghz (2.17) barton, x800pro, a7n8x-x mobo and creative 4.1 speakers/sub and 550watt psu.

i've always used the onboard realtek ac97 sound. i have started to watch dvds on pc. thinking of getting creative audigy card (£40?). looking on web there are audigy cards with cables/without cables. other than speakers i won't be connecting any external audio devices to sound card so do i need 'cables'.

also, do i just:
uninstall realtek driver, boot up and disable audio codec in bios, install new card and then install new driver? or is that to simple for some reason?

thanks as always

P

pookie 13:21 07 Oct 05

for info looking at:
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (OEM) £42

gudgulf 13:28 07 Oct 05

I would do just that......Disable onboard sound in BIOS/remove old sound driver.

Switch off and fit new audio card,boot up and install the drivers for the new card.

I think I might just fit one of those myself....my SoundBlaster live 5.1 is getting a bit long in the tooth now and the "latest" drivers are almost 4 years old.

I've also heard good things about the latest Xfi range from creative...have you looked into one of those?

pookie 13:33 07 Oct 05

hi

yes indeed - the xfi range get brillaint review (90%) in custom pc magazine (issue 026). but the one they like is £99 and I can't stretch that high - also my 4.1 speakers (£45) may not do a £99 card justice.

cheers

P

gudgulf 13:58 07 Oct 05

What tempts me to the Xfi range is not the audio quality but the very low system resource usage.For a gaming pc like mine the fact that you can use the full range of sound effects without taking a significant fps hit is worth having.

Of course it means you have to pay more :0{{

citadel 19:51 07 Oct 05

I have an audigy 2 zs and sound is excellent an all games.

CurlyWhirly 21:47 07 Oct 05

I also have an Audigy 2 ZS sound card and it rocks especially in games.

pookie 13:52 14 Oct 05

many thanks - i know this has, and will be, raised forever but did any of you notice a major fps improvement when going from onboard to audigy 2 zs?

CurlyWhirly 14:50 14 Oct 05

[quote]did any of you notice a major fps improvement when going from onboard to audigy 2 zs?[/quote]

I can't say I notice a difference in games but when I run 3d Mark 05 I get a couple of extra FPS in the benchmarks. Not really noticeable but having a dedicated sound card improves the sound quality no end so I would *never* go back to onboard sound again.

pookie 19:53 14 Oct 05

many thanks and have a good weekend

P

gudgulf 20:07 14 Oct 05

There is an excellent article at Tom's Hardware Guide on the effect of different soundcards/onboard sound on game fps........click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…