installing software on Vista

keef66 11:59 14 Nov 07

At work we use XP Pro, and are unlikely to move to Vista in the forseeable. I have XP at home too, so have absolutely no experience with Vista.

I have a piece of software that I need to install on a pc belonging to a cooperator we work with, but he has recently switched to Vista.

What do I need to know before I try the installation?

ventanas 12:16 14 Nov 07

The main issue is that no matter what type of user you are logged in as you will always run as a standard user with no administrator privileges. (Unless User Account Control has been turned off) To avoid any problems the best way is to locate the setup file, right click it and choose Run as Administrator from the menu. It should run ok.

keef66 12:22 14 Nov 07

I'm sure UAC will be running. Thanks for the pointer. I'll leave this open for a while longer.

hssutton 12:49 14 Nov 07

Even with UAC control turned on you may find that you still have to right click and select "Run as Administrator" This happened to me on two occasions.

hssutton 12:49 14 Nov 07

Even with UAC control turned on you may find that you still have to right click and select "Run as Administrator" This happened to me on two occasions.

slaps 13:02 14 Nov 07

I have a Sony laptop with WinDVD installed on it. I downloaded a DVD through the optical drive using Easy Media Creater 9 and saved it to the hard drive as a VOB file. When I come to playback the DVD with WinDVD, the application refuses to play it. Is this a software issue or is it somehow copy-protected?? It plays fine with my freeware software (i.e. AVS Dvd player). Thanks....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…