installing software acer aspire one

Daxsimus 12:00 11 Jun 09

Hi all,
My father recently purchased a netbook acer aspire-one running the linpus linux lite v1.0.21.E operating system. I said I would install his favourite software for him but when I have gone to do this I have suddenly realised it is completely different to anything I have used before. So if you guys can help me I need to know how to install software? And also is avg, yahoo etc compatible with the OS? I have downloaded these programes to USB drive can I install from this? If so How do I? Many thanks for any help in advance Dax

scotty 14:27 11 Jun 09

Linux (particularly on a netbook) is not designed to run Windows programs. There are Linux alternatives for most Windows applications. If you provide details of his favourite software, I am sure we will be able to advise on the equivalent software.

AVG will not run on Linpus but it is usually to run Linux systems without antivirus software. By Yahoo, do you mean an instant messenger? Pidgin is a good linux equivalent.

To install additional software you need to enable advanced mode. Details for enabling advanced mode and other Acer one tweaks can be found here: click here

woodchip 14:33 11 Jun 09

As above Windows Programs will not run on Linux. Some Programs you can get to run using a Linux program called wine. You need to do some research.

This will give you a start click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…