installing software.

six-h 16:23 05 Mar 07

all the software you get says the same thing,: - stop all running programmes before installing.
Maybe I've just been lucky, cos I don't know how to do this, much less how to set them running again after. My worry is that whilst installing SP2 the blessed antivirus prog. will try to phone home, I have tried to stop it doing this before to no avail, it is E-trust which i have not used as I'm not yet connected to the internet, but it tries every 5/6 minutes when the machine is switched on.Advice please.

robbiepaul79 16:28 05 Mar 07

You should be able to kill this in windows task manager if you are having problems off the top of my head this would probally be an easy solution.

Gongoozler 16:29 05 Mar 07

This message is just a safety precaution. Generally if you just shut down programs such as word processor, browser etc, this will be enough. Better still, also stop your antivirus and firewall. You can generally do this via the icon on the taskbar.

jay.p 16:30 05 Mar 07

software running will show on your taskbar at bottom right of screen.just right click on the programmes you want to stop and choose exit.
to restart them double click the relevent shortcut on the desktop or go to start > programmes and find them that way.
make sure you are not connected to the internet while your firewall is off.

six-h 15:48 06 Mar 07

I think I'm now in a position to safely attempt installation of SP2.
Thanks to all for your excellent help.

acein1 19:11 06 Mar 07

copy and paste this link into "google",and download it ,then us it,to "CLOSE" ( NOT KILL), all your programs before you install"ok works for me ", regards

acein1 19:11 06 Mar 07

sorry forgot the link
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…