Installing slave prevents boot

Shanks 13:11 18 Dec 03

On a system with Win98, one hd and a cdr both set as master on different ide channels. If I add another drive - either a nother hd or a dvd rom drive the bios will recognise the drive and identify it correctly but hangs after the 'PCI checking, and 'verifying dmi pool data' message appears. If I disconnect the slave it boot straight in without hitch.

I have checked the bios and it is set to auto on all 4.

Any help would be appreciated.

stlucia 13:19 18 Dec 03

Are the old drives (the masters) on the connectors at the ends of the ide cables, and the new drive (the slave) on one of the connectors which is part way down the ide cable?

Is the jumper on the new drive set to slave or auto?

Shanks 14:25 18 Dec 03

Thanks stlucia but yes I have checked and all drives have their jumpers correctly assigned and they are installed so that the master is at the end and the slave is on the mid connector.

It seems odd to me that it doesn't amtter whether it is a hdd or a cd/dvd drive that I attach as the slave it will still prevent boot process.

TIA for any suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…