installing onto slave drive

bob 17:23 31 Mar 05

I have recently installed a 80Gb hard drive and transferred the files over with the help of three forum contributors( very knowledgeable),
Now I have formatted this drive and wish to install programmes onto it, ie try another operating system.

How do I install the programmes onto this disc from a CD when my master drive controls the system?

How can I load another operating system from this drive at startup?

Do I need to partition this slave? (I hope not as I am having enough trouble with what I am trying to do)
From past experience I know someone out there can help me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:28 31 Mar 05

'How do I install the programmes onto this disc from a CD when my master drive controls the system?'......load a programme normally and you will be asked which directory you wish to palce it in....choose the 8oGb drive. You will notice no difference in running them from this drive.

'Do I need to partition this slave'...modern computers do not need partitions, there is no point.

'How can I load another operating system from this drive at startup'...if the OS is XP it is easy to do...what is your main OS?

G

bob 23:29 01 Apr 05

My operating system is 98SE. I would like to install XP onto the slave.

lotvic 01:06 02 Apr 05

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System with W98 and XP
click here
enter Q306559 in search box

dan11 01:47 02 Apr 05

Load to windows 98. Insert the windows XP disk. Pick the new installation ( not upgrade ) option. XP will suggest the slave drive for it's installation. Sit back and let it load.

This will give you the option to boot into win98 or XP at every start up.

bob 13:40 02 Apr 05

Lotvic,
There is a lot of reading so when I get through it I`ll let you know

bob 13:42 02 Apr 05

Dan 11
Sounds easy, I`ll try it.

bob 13:43 02 Apr 05

Gandalf
Thanks for saying partitioning not required. Make my life easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now