installing second SATA HD

logoff 16:12 28 May 08

I want to install a second HD 500 Gb into my PC -has a Cooler Master 330 Elite case and at the moment one
500 Gb HD. Motherboard is Asus P5N-E SLI.
Plenty of spare bays but at the moment only one fan at the back of the case. Room for another at the front. Any known problems in doing this and is it likely I need to install another fan? There seem to be three spare SATA connections on the board -does it matter which I plug it into?

Thanks

johndrew 16:28 28 May 08

I doubt if you will have any cooling problems, but you don`t mention what size PSU you have; this may limit you if it is on the small size.

You can use any of the spare SATA connectors, the board will auto detect the drive.

logoff 16:32 28 May 08

johndrew- thanks for the reply. Have an Intel Q6600 processor which has it's own cooling fan on top. I was mainly concerned about a possible need to fit an extra fan at the front- with two HD's in place.

All the best

logoff 16:32 28 May 08

sorry .....PSU is 650 watt.

L

johndrew 16:45 28 May 08

No problem with power.

In my opinion you can never have too much ventilation, but, the more fans you have the more noise also. I doubt if the extra HDD will change the case temperatures much. If you want to check it out , why not use Everest Home Free click here. Simply install it, click on `Computer/Sensor` and check your temperatures. If you feel they have risen a lot (do your checks on days where the ambient temperatures are similar) then you can easily fit a fan at the front.

logoff 17:21 28 May 08

Thanks again. Looks a useful utility. Will have a go -probably over the weekend. Will post back if disaster strikes!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…