installing second hard drive in xp

grimbler 22:44 12 Sep 03

installed a new 80g secondary hd but do not know how to format it in xp the bios sees but windows xp ignores it help?

mark500 22:48 12 Sep 03

Basically, you need to go into start > all programs > administrative tools (or start > all progs > accessories > administrative tools, depending on your setup). Next choose 'computer management' and within this 'disk management'. Here you should see your existing hard disk, plus your new one represented as 'unformatted space' or something similar.

Right-clicking on the new disk will provide some options (i can't remember what exactly) that allow you to initialise, partition and eventually format the disk. Having done all this you should see your new disk in 'my computer'

Before you do all that though you might want to change the drive letter of your cd drive to push it further down the alphabet, so to speak. For example if your cd drive is D:\ you might want to make it E:\ so that your new hard disk can be D. You can do this from the disk management window too.

Hope this helps..

mark500 22:55 12 Sep 03

If Admin Tools does not show as above go Start-Settings-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Disk management.

Djohn 22:59 12 Sep 03

as above, but a quick way to disk management is to right click on the "MY computer" Icon and choose "Manage". This will take you to disk management. j.

mark500 23:30 12 Sep 03

I never noticed that before. You do learn something new everyday.

Djohn 23:35 12 Sep 03

Only found it myself last week when installing a second Hard drive! I like to have a click here and there, being nosey, keep surprising myself on things I find. One of these days my PC will bite back. :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…