installing second hard drive

Ray5776 16:04 23 Nov 05

Hello everyone,
I am trying to insall a second HD. Have original set as Master, new one as Slave but machine cannot find the new one. Do they both have to be on the same ribbon cable or does it not matter? or any other advice wellcome.
Thanks Ray

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 23 Nov 05

Are you on XP?

Right click my computer

choose manage

then disk management

From there you can partition / format it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:23 23 Nov 05

Is the BIOS set to recognise the second drive?

Enter the BIOS (message on first screen) CMOS setings set primary slave to Auto (or try pressing F3 to get the BIOS toAutodetect the drive.

Once the BIOS can see the drive then save and exit (F10) reboot to windows and use disk management to initialise and format the drive,

ade.h 17:23 23 Nov 05

If you have set the second drive's jumper to Slave, the yes, it certainly needs to be on the same cable! That's the point of the Slave setting. You could also use Cable Select, though this is slightly less reliable depending on the brand/model of drive.

If you want it on a seperate IDE channel then set it to Master. Having two Masters will not conflict (I keep my optical drives set up like that).

Ray5776 17:30 23 Nov 05

Hi,
I am using Win2000 pro. The disk is formatted NTFS (on another machine, also w2kpro)Do they need to be on the same cable? Primary master & primary slave are both set to Auto. F3 results
Pri Master: User
Pri Slave: DVD-ROM
Sec Master: Not installed
Sec Slave CDROM.

keewaa 17:41 23 Nov 05

Looks like you have the DVD rom as slave on the main HD cable ... so change the second drive you are installing and change jumper to master and connect it to the CDROM cable.

Ray5776 17:42 23 Nov 05

Hi ade.h,
They are on different cables, could well be the trouble. Can I just unplug the cable from my CD and switch them over or is it more complicated than that. I have tried it configured as master but at the time I did not run the CMOS settings.

ade.h 17:44 23 Nov 05

No, as I said in my previous post, they don't have to be on the same channel. The boot disk will normally be Primary Master and your second HDD can be Secondary Master. That's notwithstanding any weird unique demands of a particular motherboard that I don't know of, but it has always worked whenever I have needed two HDDs without using an array. Obviously, in your setup, you should keep the HDDs on the same channel if you have only two IDE channels because an ATA33 optical drive should not be placed on the same channel as an ATA100/133 HDD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 23 Nov 05

Your Cd rom is slave, set the HDD to master.

then see if it shows up.

woodchip 17:50 23 Nov 05

You are not saying if they are EIDE or SATA drives. If EIDE first check BIOS to see if the Drive is Recognised, if not run the Auto Detect Drive page, then as above once you can see the drive from BIOS you can use the Manage Disc Drives in 2000

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:57 23 Nov 05

Must be EIDE as SATA drives do not have jumper settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…