Installing a second hard drive.

padi 18:02 26 Mar 04

I have just installed a 40 GB Western Digital bare drive into my PC. BIOS and auto detect it says there as a slave hard drive. XP loads OK from my master hard drive, but when i go to "my computer" the only hard drive present is my orginal hard drive & not my second hard drive.

All the jumpers on both hard drives have been set correctly, all cables are located

Any help...............please.......

bremner 18:04 26 Mar 04

Right click on My Computer - choose Manage.

From there you will see your new drive. It has to be partioned and formatted.

For both right click on the area of the new drive and they are on the menu.

padi 18:17 26 Mar 04

bremner,
Thanks for that, it worked a treat.
All I have to do now is copy everything over XP to the new hard drive. Thanks again

thms 18:26 26 Mar 04

In XP go to disk management and scan for disk.
Quite a lot of info in here about new disks.

initialize new disks
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as a computer administrator in order to complete this procedure.
New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.