Installing a second CD drive

smartdave 16:57 13 Jul 04

I have a CD-Rom drive and have just bought a CD_RW/DVD Combo. I have instaaled the second drive, but cannot connect the audio cable to the sound card as that is already connected to the original drive. Hence I now have two CD drives, but only one plays cd audio directly to the sound card. Is there a way of playing audio cd's indirectly?

johnsims 17:03 13 Jul 04

You can buy a sound cable splitter for a couple of quid from quietpc click here
Also many motherboards (and sound cards) have an additional set of pins for a second cable to a scond optical drive.

smartdave 17:17 13 Jul 04

Quietpc does not appear to sell this "splitter" mentioned, though I may search out such a component on the internet. Thanks for that. I would prefer just to fix the problem without buying other cables.

Diodorus Siculus 17:20 13 Jul 04

If you want a cable, mail me and I will stick one in the post for you; I have at least 2 of them from upgraded ROM drives.

johnsims 17:27 13 Jul 04

"quiet pc does not appear to sell this splitter .. "
All the symptoms of a memory fault - mine! If not quietpc then it was probably ebuyer or dabs, or pcnextday. Can't remember with any certainty (a function of age!) but I know I bought one when faced with the same difficulty. Sorry about the "bum steer"

John

johnsims 17:28 13 Jul 04

Are you sure your sound card doesn't have an extra connector? My SB Live does and it's pretty old now.

keith-236785 18:12 13 Jul 04

goto device manager, double click cdrom drives

right click on the new drive and goto properties.

click the properties tab at the top, and check that there is a tick in the box for "enable digital cd audio for this cdrom device", then you wont need a cable at all. click to put a tick in the box if there isnt one in, if it is greyed out then your drive/motherboard doesnt support digital audio and you will have to go with the other suggestions.

try it and if it works out ok, you can do the same with the old cdrom, if that works then take out the cable.

i have a cdrw/dvdrom drive and a dvdrw wrive and niether has a sound cable connected (makes for a tidier case too).

this worked on both win98se and winxp for me, unless the old cdrom is very old then chances are it will support digital sound.

good luck

Djohn 18:18 13 Jul 04

As paperman27. Neither of mine have the analogue cable connected, both will give sound through the IDE cable via digital output. My board, Elite K7S6A is a couple of years old now fitted with soundblaster 5.1 card.

TomJerry 18:25 13 Jul 04

As pointed out by "Djohn". Sounds are now played digitally.

Cannot understand why manufacturers still keep annlogue connectors?

smartdave 20:51 13 Jul 04

Under multimedia icon/CD Music the "enable digital cd audio for this cdrom device" is greyed out!

keith-236785 20:23 14 Jul 04

best thing then is to either buy a splitter for the audio cable, or just remember to use the drive that is connected to the audio cable that you have got.

does your sound card have two inputs, if so you could connect two cables to the sound card and have both cd drives connected.

check the new drives properties in Device Manager, the new one should be digitally capable.

if it is, enable digital audio on that one and leave the audio cable in the old drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now