Installing SATA HDD problem

beeuuem 20:41 12 Sep 09

I had a major problem last evening and decided to fit a new HDD. I bought a WD 1600AVJS SATA.

The disk is recognised in the BIOS and is set up as IDE. It is seen in Disk Management as 128Gb Unallocated - not initialised. The disk will not initialise.
I note that this disk is allocated as DiskO location 0(0) which is the same as the existing boot HDD which is listed as Disk1.
Trying to install Windows on the new drive fails as the disk is not accessible.

Help!

beeuuem 20:45 12 Sep 09

When the Windows install fails it says that the SATA is disk O -Id0 - bus0 and says that it will try Disk 1 which has the same address. I suspect this is a conflict which may be the root of the problem but I have no idea what to do about it.

beeuuem 21:45 12 Sep 09

Thought I'd tried everything! - set BIOS to default settings and the drvie works as a SATA under RAID option.

Hallelujah.

rdave13 22:02 12 Sep 09

Something I think well to bookmark. Flashing bios is still a no-no for me. Though why restoring bios to default should allow the HDD to be recognised is well over my head.

beeuuem 06:30 13 Sep 09

And mine - but the drives are only recognised in default mode. Any tweaking and they just don't work.

ened 07:14 13 Sep 09

I'm a bit confused as well.

I have two sata drives and did not install the RAID drivers.

On boot the machine has always reported : 'No Hard Drive detected'!

But it has always gone into windows fine.

When you mention the RAID option: which one?

beeuuem 16:05 13 Sep 09

In the BIOS it has enable SATA with mode RAID or IDE. Initially it would only detect and run the Drive under RAID.
Having cloned the old drive it would only function under IDE mode.

I'm still working on this as I am transferring files from the 2nd old drive to a new slave and will then see how to make them operate properly. I see that both the SATA drives are Master.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009