Installing recovery discs onto new HDD

Jamous 18:23 PM 27 Nov 12

I have an HP G62-110sa laptop where it appears the HDD died a while ago so I am trying to see if I can get it back up and running again.

I have the Recovery Discs that I created when I bought it and I have also managed to get my hands on a HDD that has been formatted to NTFS (so I'm told)

Now will this just be as simple as installing the HDD and then booting up from the first disc to start the install or is there anything I need to do / check before I do this please?

Many thanks

rdave13 18:29 PM 27 Nov 12

Most probably it's already set to boot from the DVD drive so it will install from the recovery discs as usual.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 PM 27 Nov 12

It should be as simple as you stated,

as long as the recovery disks contain an image of the op system and drivers and are not looking for an image on the old drive.

Good luck.

Jamous 08:44 AM 28 Nov 12

Thanks for the replies so far.

Okay, so I have swapped out the hard drive and put the recovery CD (Disc 1) into the laptop

Now just after powering up I am getting the message "BOOTMGR is missing - Press Ctrl Alt & Del to restart"

I have changed the boot order in BIOS so that Internal CD/DVD drive is top of the list but I am still getting this message come up

Any suggestions please?

onthelimit1 09:40 AM 28 Nov 12

That sounds as though it's still trying to boot from the HDD. Did you click F10 after changing the order? Do you hear the drive spin up after changing the boot order and restarting?

onthelimit1 09:46 AM 28 Nov 12

Hmm - odd. This seems to indicate that the DVD drive is before the HDD as a default setting.

Jamous 09:58 AM 28 Nov 12

Update: I ran the disk check option in BIOS and then booted up from the CD drive no problems :-)

However.... in a foolish attempt to save a few quid, I bought a 160GB HDD to put in, which would be fine except for the fact that the lappy shipped with a 320GB and when I go to run the HP recovery manager - guess what it says :-(

"The hard drive is smaller than the one shipped with this computer - recovery cannot continue"

Doh!!! One lesson learnt for today. Looks like a trip back to the shop for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…