Installing Programs on another Drive

RobCharles1981 16:19 PM 13 Oct 11

I'm looking at Installing my Programs and Games onto another Drive (Windows XP) is there anything that I need to amend in Regedit or vise versa to make this happen?

rdave13 16:37 PM 13 Oct 11

I usually create a new folder such as downloads2 on the second drive and when downloading direct it to the folder (browse). If it's a game then create a new folder on the second drive with the game's name and install it there. Usually it will create an icon in the start list and desktop on the C: drive.

sunnystaines 16:37 PM 13 Oct 11

no, just select the folder or drive durimg install process

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 PM 13 Oct 11

If you have the install disks then no. this article is good for Vista and W7 this program is need for XP

RobCharles1981 16:43 PM 13 Oct 11

Can I modify the Registry? I've looked on Google and it says you can changes the paths???

Diemmess 17:08 PM 13 Oct 11

Modify the registry? - - No leave the registry absolutely alone particularly while you are making changes of the sort you want to do.

The only modification later that might be helpful as a final tidy-up, is to use CCleaner in its "issues" option. This will safely clear away any orphaned or left over bits from the re-installations you have made.

RobCharles1981 17:53 PM 13 Oct 11

All I had to do was change the paths in the regedit

That seems fine. And I've moved the "My Documents" onto the Programs Drive Now I need a workaround for Outlook Express:

"Outlook Express Cannot Be Started The Application was unable to open the OutLook Express Message Store"

rdave13 18:07 PM 13 Oct 11

Unless you know what you're doing then I'd tread carefully. You might start buggering your windows updates etc. If you need to do it properly have a search of how to install programs on second hdd.

This put me off- too much like hard work!

RobCharles1981 18:18 PM 13 Oct 11

This is a new Install Of XP

I got the Documents Transfered over to the "Other Drive" But I'm faced with the error with Outlook Express.

rdave13 18:21 PM 13 Oct 11

I expect it's the same with XP. You might find problems with Outlook, Updates and other programs that will only install on the C: drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?