Installing programmes on several user accounts

john bunyan 09:13 17 Jun 10

Just got a new laptop, W7. Have 2 "admin rights" accounts and 2 without admin. Installed anti virus and firewall. These seem to appear in all accounts. However when I downloaded Spywareblaster and other programmes like it, I saved them on one of the admin accounts, then ran the programme, and it only installed on that account. How do I tell the PC to install some programmes on all accounts - such as Adobe reader etc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 17 Jun 10

During the install of most new programs it will ask if you want to install for the current user or all users.
The "all users" setting does it put a short cut to the program in the "all users" start menu. You can do this yourself manually after installing a program (or for one that doesn't give you an option by doing the following:

Open up the drive windows is installed on (usually c:)

Open up "Documents and Settings" and then the "All users" folder.
Open "start menu" and then "programs".
Any shortcuts or folders in here will show up in the start menu of any user who is logged in.
All you have to do is create a short cut to the program, and then put the short cut in that folder.

john bunyan 12:02 17 Jun 10

THanks for that. Up to now I have only had one user on my Desktop, so was unsure.

john bunyan 12:05 17 Jun 10

PS I have partitioned it to C: (100gig) for programmes, a recovery partiton (although I will use ATI) and F:(abt 380 gigt for) data.Thanks again.JB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac