Installing printer to windows xp

bert52a 12:05 24 Jul 04

I've been trying to help my pal setup his printer on his new XP Desktop.
When I checked to see why it wasn't workingi could find nothing wrong.We went through all the troubleshooters and everything checked out ok.The Hewlett Packard 500c was recognised and it was online.The only problem was that it wouldn't actually print.
When the reset button on the printer was pressed it printed a sheet of large capitals but when the test printer was clicked it failed,even in Notepad.
The only thing I could find that made me suspicious was that when the print dialogue was open the page range showed anumber like 65353 or similar if the "All" button was checked.But even if i cleared this it would not print.
The same printer worked fine on a pre Windows 98 system.
thanks

bremner 12:13 24 Jul 04

I would try a fresh install and / or a driver update. This link is to the driver click here for a driver download.

bert52a 12:48 24 Jul 04

I'm a bit confused here.
I thought you could just plug in the printer and you just needed to go through the printer dialogue and if your printer was found on the list you just installed it from there.When I did this everything seemed to be in order but I checked for updates-there's an option in the dialogue box-and it said there weren't any .Should I just install the driver I've now downloaded through the link you pasted?
thank you

bert52a 12:48 24 Jul 04

I'm a bit confused here.
I thought you could just plug in the printer and you just needed to go through the printer dialogue and if your printer was found on the list you just installed it from there.When I did this everything seemed to be in order but I checked for updates-there's an option in the dialogue box-and it said there weren't any .Should I just install the driver I've now downloaded through the link you pasted?
thank you

€dstowe 13:22 24 Jul 04

I would check on the HP website for the latest drivers and other software for the printer and install EXACTLY as instructed. Printers, especially HP printers, are very faddy about having the correct software and can easily sulk if things aren't to their liking.

jonnytub 13:29 24 Jul 04

Edstowe is absolutely right about sulking hp printers, they Must be installed as specified, especially on xp machines. Took me 5 attempts to put an psc120 on my pc because i thought i could get it done quicker myself.

bert52a 13:57 24 Jul 04

Thanks for your help,people, but I've done everything exactly as stated at the HP website but still the printer doesn't respond.The printer is set as my default printer.
Does anyone have any ideas why the strange number is appearing in the pages box on the printer dialogue window?

jonnytub 14:01 24 Jul 04

try printing in safe mode???

jonnytub 14:02 24 Jul 04

one other thing was the printer plug in when installation occured?

bert52a 14:05 24 Jul 04

Thanks will look into these 2 possibilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…